Garden Services Attendant
Operates under the direct supervision of a Garden Services Manager. Performs routine custodial tasks to maintain the cleanliness of indoor and/or outdoor public areas, administrative areas and service areas. Assists with snow and leaf removal, drain cleaning, event set up and take down, office moves and other tasks involving manual labor.
Essential Job Functions
1. Perform tasks to maintain cleanliness of the Garden and buildings including but not limited to sweeping, mopping, emptying trashcans, wiping tables, hosing, vacuuming, dusting, recycling, and picking up litter in and around picnic areas, plazas, paths, parking lots, buildings and all other indoor and/or outdoor locations throughout the Zoo.
2. Perform simple zoo operations tasks and/or seasonal tasks, including but not limited to, leaf removal, snow and ice removal, and drain cleaning.
3. Assist with refuse collection throughout the Zoo and in/around exterior parking lots and/or perimeter streets. May be assigned to assist pulling and loading trash onto equipment for disposal; clean dumpsters, trashcans, manure bins, refuse collection sites and dump sites.
4. Assist in set-up/break-down of tables, chairs and deployment of signage to support indoor and/or outdoor events. Also maintain cleanliness of event location before, during and after event.
5. May use industrial strength chemicals to scrub toilets, sinks, floors and walls as needed at all building locations. Routinely maintain active supply of toilet paper, paper towels, soap and trash bags in visitor and/or staff receptacles and dispensers.
6. Move furniture, office equipment, boxes, and/or supplies as assigned.
7. Is responsible for properly signing out/in all Garden Department equipment including but not limited to radios, leaf removal tools, snow removal tools, custodial implements and supplies, power tools, etc. as assigned. Is responsible for condition of all equipment assigned. Must return such equipment in like condition as assigned and report any operating difficulties or equipment damage to supervisor immediately.
8. Routinely assist guests. Answer questions and provide information to guests in a manner that is welcoming and encourages repeat visits; handles complaints and resolve problems in a manner that is helpful, polite and accurate. Is consistently helpful to guests and other employees.
Non-Essential Job Functions
1. Perform related duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Ability Requirements
1. High school or equivalent preferred. Prior work experience required. General knowledge of house keeping and grounds keeping equipment and products preferred.
2. Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions and communicate effectively with guests, supervisors, co-workers, etc.
3. Strong guest relations and service excellence orientation. Ability to maintain composure and service standards under pressure. Patient.
4. Ability to work independently with general supervision.
5. Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work cooperatively as part of a team.
6. Professional appearance and manner; friendly; well groomed.
7. Ability to work a flexible schedule that may include weekends, evenings and holidays.
8. Valid driver’s license preferred.
Physical and Medical Requirements
1. Successful completion of a medical screening and drug test prior to starting work.
2. Must be able to work around plants and animals.
3. Ability to bend, stoop, climb stairs and work outdoors in all weather conditions.
4. Ability to lift and carry 25 pounds a distance of 25 feet.
5. May come into contact with pesticides, fertilizers or cleaning agents. Must wear protective equipment including but not limited to gloves, hat, goggles, back brace, etc.
1. Successful completion of a post-offer background checks, including criminal and credit history.
1. Ability to work outside in all weather conditions.
2. Position will involve exposure to inclement weather, dust, potentially dangerous and unpredictable animal species, and potentially dangerous machinery, restraint devices, toxic chemicals and/or drugs. Occasional use of protective clothing or equipment is required (e.g., goggles, masks, gloves, gowns, back brace, etc.)
Please apply online