(April 29, 2011)
Philadelphia Zoo is home to new white-handed gibbon primate - an endangered species
– The Philadelphia Zoo is proud to announce its newest arrival, Leo a male white-handed gibbon born to dad Mercury and mom Phoenice. Leo was born on April 7, 2011. The Zoo’s newest baby white-handed gibbon is now on exhibit in PECO Primate Reserve.
The gibbons will be on exhibit Tuesdays-Thursdays in the day room.
Leo white-handed gibbon
Fun Facts about White-Handed Gibbons:
• Named after the celestial sign
• Gibbons are considered one of the most agile and acrobatic animals on earth
• Gibbon hair color is not sexed-linked
• From Southeast Asia
• Mainly eat fruit, bark, vegetables, insects leaves and flowers
• Gestation is about 7 months