The UNLESS Contest
The Future of Conservation
The UNLESS Contest, now in it’s 9th year, has empowered thousands of K-12 students to take action for wildlife. This year-long, project-based contest encourages students to create real solutions to environmental issues in their lives. Register today to amplify your students’ voices and help them change the world!
Making a Difference
Over the past eight years, the Zoo has engaged more than 55,000 students from nearly 400 schools as part of this initiative. The efforts of our participants have reached over 16 million people!
The UNLESS Contest helps teachers meet a variety of local and national curriculum standards.
- Environment and Ecology: 3.3.8.A2; 4.1.7.E; 4.1.8.D; 4.1.8.F; 4.2.6.C; 4.3.2.A; 4.4.6.A; 4.5.2.D; 4.5.6.D; 4.5.7.C; 4.5.7.D; 4.5.8.A; 4.5.8.C; 4.5.8.D
- Science and Technology and Engineering: 3.1.C.; 15.2.8.L; 15.4.8.A; 15.3.8A; 15.3.8.G
- English Language Arts: 4. Writing; 6. Creative Communicator A; 7. Global Collaborator C; CC.1.2: Reading Informational Text; CC.1.2.2.A; CC.1.2.2.L; CC.1.5: Speaking and Listening; CC.1.5.8. A; CC.1.5.8. D; CC.188.8.131.52. G; CC.2.4.4.A.2; CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.4.7; CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.4.10
- Mathematics: M04.D-M.2.1.3; CC.2.4.5.A.2; M05.D-M.2.1
- Next Generation Science Standards: HS-ESS2-1 Earth’s Systems; HS-ESS2-6 Earth’s Systems; ESS3 Earth and Human Activity; HS.Interdependent Relationships in Ecosystems; 4-ESS3-1 Earth and Human Activity; 5-ESS3-1 Earth and Human Activity