UNLESS Contest Next Steps
What do we do next?
After your group has officially registered for the UNLESS Contest, use the step-by-step guide below to guide you for the year. Each group of tasks you complete will earn your team a badge and get you closer to completing the contest.
Note: This set must be completed before scheduling a field trip with the Zoo. We recommend completing this set between October and December.
- Schedule and complete your introductory call with the Philadelphia Zoo
- Complete the First UNLESS Contest Activity and submit your progress to earn the Forest Award
- Hold a class meeting to discuss the contest
- Choose your focus animal (Golden Lion Tamarins, Rodrigues Fruit Bats, African Lions, Three-striped Box Turtles, and Indian White-eyes).
- Choose at least one challenge (Water, Energy, Waste, Policy, or Habitat)
- Create a team name
- Explore the UNLESS Contest website for additional information and resources
Note: We recommend completing this set between January and February.
- Schedule and complete your field trip with the Philadelphia Zoo
- Identify the problem that you will try to solve
- Create a list of resources that you need in order to solve this problem
- Create an action plan to help solve this problem
- Get the word out to student families and invite them to get involved
- Schedule additional Zoom sessions if you’d like to have more contact with us or would like feedback on your projects progress! (Optional)
- Complete the Second UNLESS Contest Activity and submit your progress to earn the Ocean Award
Note: We recommend completing this set between February and March.
- Complete the Third UNLESS Contest Activity and submit your progress to earn the Sky Award
- Get the word out to your school and community and invite them to get involved
- Gather and analyze your data and summarize your results
- Submit your Final Submission and post-survey by March 31. Make sure to review the required information
- Celebrate your accomplishments with us at the UNLESS Contest Celebration in May!